Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day trip to Walhalla, an old gold mining town

We took a trip to an old Gold Mining Town called Walhalla, about an hours drive from Rohan's parents.   Nonna packed a yummy picnic of sausages wrapped in bread and coleslaw as it was a cool autumn day.  After lunch we walked up the hill and happened to be right on time for a tour of the old gold-mine, so Rohan and I and the older girls found it most interesting.  I have to confess I was a bit nervous going into this underground tunnel several hundred metres, but managed not to do a runner!
An 8 hour work shift was after up to 1.5 hours to get to the work face… and after work it could take as long to return to the top.  A cold billy of tea and maybe a lump of meat was all they had to eat all day down in the mines.  At the lower levels, miners some times had to work in water all day up to their knees.  The average life span for a miner was 24 year, and if you lived to 30 you would get a job “top side”!!!

 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Very neat place! The work conditions sound terrible though...I won't complain about doing laundry and cleaning house anymore at least my feet are dry!

Rohan & Michelle, Philippa, Heidi, Harrison & Aria said...

Yeah I'll Say Ju! :-)